Tuesday 31 January 2012

Taketh me out...again.

A bit of a tumbleweed has blown across our blog but Standby HQ has been anything but quiet recently! We received an early Christmas present with the news that we'd been selected for the Open Stages showcase on the 18th of March 2012. Naturally, we were all delighted and couldn't wait to get creative again, even though a lot of hard work would inevitably be involved.

Given a ten minute slot to fill, we had to make a decision about which section of the play would represent our work and values the best. Puck's dating game show, Taketh Me Out, was the most obvious choice for us all, providing what we hope will be a fun, lively and engaging insight into what we're all about. Decision made, it was now time for my part to come first. As co-writer of Lovers and Madmen, I had the daunting task of shaking off the excess of the festive season and getting down to revisiting the script...but I won't bore you with the details or spoil the surprise for March. I will, however, share some thoughts on the three things I valued most during the editing process.

1. Distance.

It's important to have distance from what you're writing, any and every 'how to' textbook will emphasise this point repeatedly. Luckily for me, there was a sizeable gap between our final performance last July and the call to dust off the script.

Distance gives the cringes time to subside and the objective voice to overtake. If every writer edited the second they'd typed the last word then frankly nothing would ever survive beyond their computer screen. For a theatre performance, distance also gives you the time to reflect and discuss what worked and more importantly what didn't work the first time round, taking into consideration what new challenges you will have to face. Instead of throwing the script out of the window (always check they're locked) I found myself welcoming the opportunity to look at it with refreshed eyes, supported by the wise and encouraging feedback of my fellow Standbyers.

Also, if a line isn't working, chill. It's okay to walk away from it and come back after a bucket of tea and an episode or 6 of The Office. It isn't going anywhere, trust me.

2. Faith.

Okay, that's a little deep (try 'positive attitude' for a less pithy but equally accurate term), but a little dose of faith really doesn't go wrong. Faith shuts up that critical voice that stops you from getting things done and it reminds you of everything you've achieved so far, pushing you to work harder. Remember why you started writing in the first place and believe that you can try your best to improve. Sadly, faith alone won't get those words on the page, but we all love a challenge, right?

3. Enjoyment.

Perhaps the most important point of all. Writing isn't scary and there are no right or wrong answers. Honestly, it can and should be fun, especially when you're making theatre. Half of the joy lies in throwing yourself back into it and seeing where your thoughts take you. It's only a play.

And because I'm a sucker for threads tying together, my final thought is this: Theatre is a collaborative process. And repeat. Once I finished the edit, I knew that my script was going into capable, open-minded and frankly gorgeous hands. Work hard at your contribution and have fun with it, but recognise when it is your turn to take a step back and create that distance again. I have a huge amount of faith in the crazy and wonderful people of Standby as they work on the story and bring it to life in ways I hadn't even imagined. I can't wait to see what they've achieved in March.

So, the cast and crew are deep in rehearsals now, but stay tuned for more from us soon!

ps. Forgive me for the title, I couldn't resist!

No comments:

Post a Comment